It's exactly that, actually. We place java.io.tmpdir under ./, so this
directory always remains after the tests are done. I filed this issue:

https://github.com/randomizedtesting/randomizedtesting/issues/247

But I honestly don't know what the "right" way to fix it is. The
runner assumes cwd should be left clean -- perhaps this should be a
switch too (with similar wipe|ignore|warn options, defaulting to warn
for backcompat).

Note that LuceneTestCase already has leftover file detection facility
it manages internally anyway (TestRuleTemporaryFilesCleanup).

Dawid