Don't let "basic auth" without SSL think there is inherent security, if
someone has access to the network it is trivial to sniff network traffic
and pickup the username/password (as noted in the caveats section
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Basic+Authentication+Plugin>).
There is a little more overhead for setting up SSL connections but as long
as there is keep-alives it's not too big of a penalty. Another option could
be using two-way SSL for authentication purposes.

-Steve