Definitely start with Solr unless you have some specialized use case.
Lucene skills can come up in a Solr context (ie if you wanted to write
plugins)

I would also recommend:
- Solr in Action
- Lucene in Action (out of date, but many concepts still valid)
- Apache Solr Ref Guide (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Apache+Solr+Reference+Guide
)
- Solr Start (http://www.solr-start.com/)
- Relevant Search (I wrote this book, email me directly for a discount code)

Slightly shameless plug. What might help you is I basically give anyone a
free hour of my time for consulting, so hit me up and I'd be happy to walk
you through some basics/ideas on getting started
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2016/08/01/search-for-lunch/

Best
-Doug