Thanks, Yonik!  Glad to hear I'm not completely crazy.  We should probably
update to 6.x and try out streaming.

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Yonik Seeley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Scott Blum <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I think I'm missing something fundamental about how subfacets work and
> > relate to each other.  I don't really understand when it's legal to
> > reference a subfacet, and when it's not.
> >
> > For example, here's a simple subfacet example from
> > http://yonik.com/solr-subfacets/
> >
> >       top_authors:{
> >         type: terms,
> >         field: author,
> >         limit: 7,
> >         sort: "revenue desc",
> >         facet:{
> >           revenue: "sum(sales)"
> >         }
> >       }
> >
> >
> > Notice how "revenue" is referenced from top_authors.sort?  The thing is,
> I
> > haven't seen any examples where the subfacet is referenced *except* for
> > sort.
>
> That's currently all we can do.
> There's an issue open for filtering buckets by calculated metrics, but
> I don't think that addresses what you're talking about.
>
> > What I'm actually trying to accomplish is doing some post-processing with
> > the aggregation functions.  But I don't want to aggregate at the "leaf
> > buckets" -- I'm trying to aggregate *across* buckets at a higher level.
>
> Some small subset may be covered by
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8998 child rollups
> or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10545 compound field
> faceting
>
> But the streaming expressions is more likely the right solution for
> more general purpose computation.  If there is a common enough
> faceting usecase that needs to be faster, we can look at how to fit it
> into the JSON Facet API.  Some of the streaming expressions stuff
> already starts off with faceting as the source for its input stream.
>
> -Yonik
>
>
>
> >  You
> > could think of this as similar to the "reduce" phase of a map-reduce.
> >
> > In other words, I know how to fan *out* with subfacets to create more
> > buckets; what I don't know is how to then reduce those buckets into
> > aggregate statistics about the buckets.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>
>

Reply via email to