Hi,

Now that we’re getting used to thinking localhost:8983/v2/ as the new api entry
point, just one silly question:

Will we ever move beyond /v2/ to /v3/?

The answer may seem obvious to many of you and may have consensus in some
looong JIRA discussion that I did not follow.

But I have a sneaking feeling that we’ll still be at /v2/ 5 years from now and
that we’ll use other mechanisms for
making breaking changes in one or more of the APIs, rather than bumping the
main entry point, which has a high cost.
In this regard I believe perhaps Solr as an app is different from any publicly
available SAAS out on the internet,
and if someone needed to publish a Solr search to a bunch of unknown clients
they would not expose Solr to those
clients but rather their own proxy, and the whole /v2, /v3 thing would be
controlled by their API layer above Solr.

Feel free to shoot me down, but is localhost:8983/api/ a more honest naming for
v2?
* It looks much better
* It is intuitive to everyone
* It never gets outdated
* We can still move to /api/v3 or anything else in the future if so be

So if my gut feeling is wrong here, please tell me a likely event in, say Solr8
that would warrant a /v3 in parallel
with /v2. If this is something that will happen once every 5 years and not once
every major version, then perhaps
other ways of versioning is more appropriate? (HTTP headers?, API paths
/api/c/foo/backup2 ...)?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com