Hi committers and developers,

I have been working on SOLR-10665 [1] - "POC for a PF4J based plugin system”
and just posted a patch yesterday. This is an ambitious effort, so I wrote up a
design document in Google Docs [2] to thoroughly discuss the design and
implications.
Finally, I’ll share the work, including feedback in my Lucene Revolution 2017
talk
titled "Solr’s Missing Plugin Ecosystem” [3], where I hope I’ll see you too!

At this stage I welcome more developer feedback on the overall idea as well as
the
concrete design choices. The idea of a better plugin system stems from Grant’s
JIRA, SOLR-5103 from 2013, and some of you have already been involved in that
process.

Please give your feedback by commenting in the Google-doc [2] and/or on the
JIRA [1].

Thanks!

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10665
[2] https://s.apache.org/solr-plugin