Hi Jason,

The history behind the scripts is that they were simpler, and were done to
make things easier for end users. Not sure if you have worked with the
'bootstrap' part of the command that predated these scripts, but the
intention was to move away from those.

There was an intention to move the code that can be moved to Java, and do
the heavy lifting there, considering that would also mean reduplication of
code between the *nix, and the windows scripts but due to lack of
bandwidth, that was never done.

It'd be great to get a patch on the same and have this move out of the bin
scripts altogether. Feel free to create a JIRA and start working on it.

In case someone else more to add, please do.

Anshum