> Lots of people on Windows use programs like Notepad for "serious" work.

This is not an argument for me. Using broken tools is not an excuse. There
 are many excellent text editors for Windows (in fact, I haven't been
able to find an editor
seriously competing with EmEditor in either Linux or Mac world when
handling very
large files). EmEditor is commercial, but there are lots of excellent
open source alternatives
(JEdit, notepad++).

If you're using notepad for development you can't be seriously a
Windows user... you wouldn't get any
work done at all.

> If the source control system didn't convert line endings, we would have
> many complaints from Windows users who double-click on files like
> CHANGES.txt and can't easily read it because the formatting's all
> screwed up, and from people who want to use the text editor built into
> their OS for editing source code.

I disagree. You need to know and respect your audience, but you also
have the right to say what you expect.
Source code-level access is for developers. If they're able to check
out the source code using git and compile it then
we must be able to assume they have enough technical knowledge to
figure out opening a text file with notepad is a
bad idea.

Otherwise, by similar argument, we should distribute two binary
releases -- one for \n systems and
the other for \r\n just so that people can read the txt files with
installation instructions. This isn't sane.

I don't know why git even has this "facility" of converting line
endings, this is just asking for trouble. Marking a perfectly valid
text file as binary is a bad idea (for example, changes to binary
files are not listed in diffs).

Dawid