When I look at the goals of Lucene.Net I am trying to understand what is
more important to Lucene.Net users, .NET functionality or a line-for-line
port.

.NET and Java are close but not the same.  In the past when give the choice
between a better .NET way or stay with the Java implementation the project
chose to keep the Java implementation.  If users don't care that it is a
line-for-line port then contributors will have more freedom to use a better
.NET way, while keeping functionality and index compatibility.

As contributors we can figure out how to get from the Java to Lucene.Net.
This will probably be an automated tool, but the source that the tool
outputs wouldn't need to be highly polished or even compile.  The primary
purpose would be to simplify the process of get from Java to .NET for a
release.

Scott