On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : There's no sense in CHANGES being a 'rolling list', when someone looks
> : at 4.0 they should be able to see whats DIFFERENT aka what CHANGED
> : from the past release.
>
> I agree completely, the disagreement is *which* past release the list
> should be relative to.

Definitely, at least we agree on something :)

> I don't know how many more ways i can say it: I believe that the list of
> changes for 4.0 should be labled (and contain) "Changes since 3.0" --
> because that is the most recent "past release" sith a common development
> history.

Right, I guess this is where I disagree. I think this is a
developer-oriented perspective: who cares about development history? A
user upgrading from Lucene 3.9 looks at 4.0's CHANGES.txt and wants to
know, what has changed since 3.9?

maybe they go straight from 3.8, in which case they read the 3.9
section underneath that too, but all of this is WAY easier than seeing
all the changes from 3.0 and trying to sort out what the hell is going
on.

seriously, i think 99% of the time my attitude is "to hell with the
users, lets do whats best for the devs since this is our project", but
as devs if we want to track things thru branches of development, we
can do this with tools like SVN... I think CHANGES.txt is for the
users.

If we decided to go your route, I would rather nuke CHANGES.txt
completely and create it from 'svn log'.

But as I said earlier, I don't think users care about the internal
details (such as svn branches and stuff) of how we produce our
artifacts. If they have 3.9 and they upgrade to 4.0 I think they just
want to know the differences: what are the new features, bugs fixed,
backwards breaks, how to upgrade, etc.

If I go and create my own branch from scratch tonight, code like a
madman and produce something i call 'lucene 3.4 release candidate' and
everyone votes +1 to release (not likely, but this is totally
possible), should its CHANGES.txt really contain all the differences
from 3.0? Or should it contain only the differences since the last
release (3.3)?

I don't think anyone cares how many branches I created or anything
like that, when they look at CHANGES.txt they just want to know what
changed since the last release.