Hi.

I have started work with some new contributions to the security framework, and
hope you will have a look and comment on them :)

The first is introduction of a brand new plugin type; AuditLoggerPlugin:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SOLR-12120 along
with one implementation logging to solr.log

Then there is a new JWT Authentication plugin:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SOLR-12121
It allows for validating tokens issued and signed by a 3rd party, and also
validating claims present in the token. This plugin can also pass a “roles”
claim on to the new authorization plugin described next.

The third contrib is an Authorization plugin with support for getting user's
roles from the request:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SOLR-12131
This is a subclass of rule based authz and share all features features except
you will not provide a user-role map in config, instead you trust a list of
roles passed from the JWT plugin (or any other Auth plugin).

The final part of the puzzle is adding login support to Admin UI:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/SOLR-7896
I don’t have any path for this but discussion about how to best solve it is
highly welcome at this stage!

Jan Høydahl