Some time ago I created this wiki page:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/IRCChannels

The IRC link in the Solr admin UI and a link in the IRC section of the Solr community page both point to this wiki page, with the idea that users who want to join the IRC channel are presented with some advice about how to have a good experience on the IRC channel.  One of the big pieces of advice there is that answers may take quite a while, because nobody may be looking at the channel right at any given moment.

Unfortunately, it seems that we still have a LOT of people who pop in, ask a question, and disappear a few minutes later.This happened tonight.  I happened to look at the channel two minutes after they left, but usually I wander in several hours later.

I was thinking that maybe I could change the freenode web-based IRC client links to just URLs that people can't click on.  If somebody who wants to join the IRC channel must copy the URL, maybe they'll be more likely to see what's written near the URL.  I'm hesitant to actually do this, because it's a definite roadblock for novice users.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn