I raised this issue a few years ago, and no consensus was reached [1]

I'm asking if we can take the time to revisit the issue. Back then it
was subversion days, and you had "patch-uploaders" and "contributors".
With git now, I believe the situation is even a bit more extreme,
because the committer is the contributor and the lucene "committer"
was really the "pusher".

On the other hand, there were some reasons against removing this
before. In particular some mentioned that it conveyed meaning about
who might be the best person to ping about a particular area of the
code. If this is still the case, I'd ask that we discuss alternative
ways that it could be accomplished (such as wiki page perhaps
linked-to HowToContribute that ppl can edit).

I wrote a new summary/argument inline, but see the linked thread for
the previous discussion:

In the past CHANGES.txt entries from a contributor have also had the
name of the committer with a 'via' entry.

e.g.:

LUCENE-1234: optimized FooBar. (Jane Doe via Joe Schmoe).

I propose we stop adding the committer name (via Joe Schmoe). It seems
to diminish the value of the contribution. It reminds me of a
professor adding a second author by default or something like that. If
someone really wants to know who committed the change, I think its
fair that they look at version control history?

1.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201206.mbox/%3CCAOdYfZW65MXrzyRPsvBD0C6c4X%2BLuQX4oVec%3DyR_PCPgTQrnhQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E