Data points:

(1) For both geo3d and Robert's implementation (at least!) there exists a
public API already.  For geo3d, this consists of:

drwxrwxrwx 0 root root   512 Jun 19 02:47 geom
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  5586 Jun 19 02:47 PointInGeo3DShapeQuery.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4940 Jun 19 02:47
Geo3DPointOutsideDistanceComparator.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  6225 Jun 19 02:47 Geo3DPointDistanceComparator.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11872 Apr 10 11:59 Geo3DUtil.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   966 Mar  2 17:39 package-info.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  5486 Mar  2 17:39 PointInShapeIntersectVisitor.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  3175 Mar  2 17:39 Geo3DPointSortField.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  3217 Mar  2 17:39 Geo3DPointOutsideSortField.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8681 Mar  2 17:39 Geo3DPoint.java
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22099 Mar  2 17:39 Geo3DDocValuesField.java

... plus shape factories found in geom.  There are similar public API
classes in Robert's implementation, but they are implemented very
differently and work only with 2d points.  A fair bit of effort went into
insuring that the public api was well thought out, as lightweight as
possible, and defensible.

(2) Neither Robert's planar, or my 3d implementation, has any external
dependencies.

(3) There exists a spatial-4j implementation for geo3d as well, in
spatial-extras.  spatial-extras does have external dependencies.

So, as you can see, merging all the packages is possible, but only if you
sacrifice backwards compatibility, and only if you accept external
dependencies.  Merging everything except spatial-extras is also possible
but you still need to give up backwards compatibility, and you'd be putting
classes together that have to individually signal what spatial universe
they belong to.  That argues against a solution where all geometric
implementations are merged into a single "spatial" package at this point.
So my thought is that we maintain multiple spatial-X modules, one for each
universe, plus spatial-4j.  It may be possible to combine Nicholas's and
Robert's 2D universes together, but I'd recommend doing that with great
care since Robert spent quite a bit of time performance tuning his stuff.
Merging "into core" would seem like a good idea only if there was ONE
implementation and ONE universe.

Thanks,
Karl