Github user dsmiley commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/416

    > Imagine a query for a social network, where all the posts comments made
by a specific user are required, including the ones he commented on, which
would not match the ChildFilter comment.author:Joe.

    Assuming a comment on another comment is a parent/child relationship (i.e.
the recursive comments are ancestors), wouldn't our doc transformer return
those ancestors?  We're expressly writing it to return those ancestors so it
would.  The ancestor path ord IDs will refer to paths distinguishing the
comment occurrences, e.g. might resolve to a path looking something like
`comment#3/comment#9/comment#1/` and thus we don't mix up which comment is on
which.

---