I was thinking of the challenge with sporadic/random failures the other day
and what would help.  I think more and smarter notifications of failures
could help a lot.

(A) Using Git history, a Jenkins plugin could send an email to anyone who
touched the failing test in the last 4 weeks.  If that list is empty then
choose the most recent person.  This notification does not go to the dev
list.  Rationale: People who most recently maintained the test in some way
are likely to want to help keep it passing.

(B) (At fucit.com?) if a test has not failed in the 4 weeks prior, then
notify the dev list with an email about just this test (in subject).  If
"many" tests fail in a build, then those failures don't count for this
tracking.  Rationale:  Any active developer ought to take notice as this
may be caused by one of their commits.  Note: if "many" tests fail in a
build, then it's likely a reproducible recently-committed change with a
wide blast radius that is going to be fixed soon and which will already be
reported by standard Jenkins notifications.

These are just some ideas.  I looked for a Jenkins plugin that did (A) but
found none.  It seems most build setups including ours aren't oriented
around longitudinal tracking of individual tests, and are instead just
overall pass/fail tracking of the entire suite.  Hoss (& Mark?) have helped
track tests longitudinally but it's a separate system that one must
manually look at; it's not integrated with Jenkins nor with notifications.

~ David