I think the primary reason is that Jetty is more lightweight than
Tomcat.
I think this is more of a perception than actual truth.

That seems like a very real possibility.

And the Jetty that's included with Solr is considerably stripped
down compared to a standard binary distribution, so its footprint
is VERY small.  Since Solr 4.0 when Solr's UI completely changed to
Javascript, even JSP support is missing.
When you consider "footprint", do you mean on-disk or in-memory?

Memory, code, download size.  When it comes to disk usage, a few extra megabytes is peanuts.  Most indexes that people build with Solr will be larger than the program installation -- disk usage isn't something I worry about.

And even the footprint thing could be a matter of perception as well, especially if we can embed the container and have a high degree of control over exactly what code gets used.

Convince us with concrete evidence that Tomcat will have a positive impact on Solr, and that the benefit will be worth the effort involved in switching.  If you can do that, then point us at resources to ease that switch.

Thanks,
Shawn