bounce

________________________________
From: Kevin Jia
Sent: December 12, 2018 6:36:33 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Proposed Additional Hooks in SolrEventListener

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to add Prospective Search functionality to Solr, similar to what
Luwak (https://github.com/flaxsearch/luwak) does - see existing JIRA ticket :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4587<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4587?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14202585#comment-14202585>.
 To do this I need to maintain an in-memory cache that is in sync with the
document index (custom cache that is not a straightforwards field cache).

To maintain my in-memory cache, I wanted to add functionality after updates (in
DirectUpdateHandler2) and SolrCore instantiation. Instead of changing the code
directly I wanted to add more hooks to SolrEventListener, namely these:

public void postCoreConstruct(SolrCore core);
public void preAddDoc(AddUpdateCommand cmd);
public void postAddDoc(AddUpdateCommand cmd);
public void preDelete(DeleteUpdateCommand cmd);
public void postDelete(DeleteUpdateCommand cmd);

I also made a ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4587. If
anyone ever needs similar custom behavior, they would be able to use these
hooks as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on my proposed changes? Is there a
better way to do this? If not, I can submit a patch soon.

Best,

Kevin