Hey folks,

tl;dr; I want to be able to open an indexreader on an old index if the
SegmentInfo version is supported and all segment codecs are available.
Today that's not possible even if I port old formats to current
versions.

Our BWC policy for quite a while has been N-1 major versions. That's
good and I think we should keep it that way. Only recently, caused by
changes how we encode/decode norms we also hard-enforce a the
index-version-created in several places and the version a segment was
written with. These are great enforcements and I understand why. My
request here is if we can find consensus on allowing somehow (a
special DirectoryReader for instance) to open such an index for
reading only that doesn't provide the guarantees that our high level
APIs decode norms correctly for instance. This would be enough to for
instance consume stored fields etc. for reindexing or if a users are
aware do they norms decoding in the codec. I am happy to work on a
proposal how this would work. It would still enforce no writing or
anything like this. I am also all for putting such a reader into misc
and being experimental.

simon