On 5/6/2019 7:37 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
I want to be clear about my question of whether we’d use Gradle for master and
continue to use Ant for 8x.

It is _totally_ and _completely_ a matter of what would be easiest and up to
the people who are doing the heavy lifting. If moving both to Gradle would be
easiest, that has my vote. If a split process would be easier, then that has my
vote.

And, frankly, if nobody has speaks up they don’t get a vote AFAIC.

When I try to understand the build system, I get lost. That might continue to happen even with a switch to gradle, of course. Just having somebody work on the build system is likely to clean it up and make it easier to understand ... whether we migrate or not.

I do like your idea of doing the work in master, letting it bake for a while to work out the kinks, and if it turns out really nice, backporting it to the stable branch.

Thanks,
Shawn