Welcome Mike!

Christine

From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 05/13/19 20:23:46To:  dawid.we...@gmail.com
Cc:  dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Welcome Michael Sokolov as Lucene/ Solr committer

Thanks Dawid, and thank you to everyone who voted to grant me access
to this awesome project!

I spent many years building full text search web applications serving
large texts (especially dictionaries, encyclopedias, and academic
journals). I cut my teeth with AltaVista back in 1998, and tried many
other search engines before finally coming around to Solr/Lucene.

I am pretty sure my first interaction with the Apache Solr/Lucene
community was back in 2012, when I was looking to solve a performance
problem we encountered highlighting gigantic documents. Since then
I've worked on many projects involving Solr and Lucene, and
ElasticSearch, and made various contributions, implemented some of my
own extensions, made a separate XML query engine based on Solr (Lux -
no longer active), went to a few Lucene/Solr Revolutions (spoke at
one), and always in the back of my mind was the idea of contributing
more actively and becoming a full participant in this thriving open
source project. Now I'm really excited that has come to pass, and look
forward to digging in even deeper, and helping to keep this thing
going.

-Mike