I had a thought I wanted to run by others.

I wondered if maybe we should add -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent or -XX:+DisableExplicitGC to Solr's default GC tuning.

I checked master with 'git grep System.gc' and the explicit GC calls only show up in test code and the lucene benchmark, nothing production in either Lucene or Solr. I cannot say whether any of Solr's dependencies use it or not.

In general I doubt those options would have any effect on a completely stock install ... but it might affect custom code that somebody adds. In that situation, protecting latency by either completely disabling the explicit GC or forcing it to run a concurrent collection seems like a good idea. But maybe it's not worth worrying about, I'm curious what others think.

A question for Uwe ... would the following be an acceptable use/abuse of forbidden APIs in our build system? The check passes with it:

https://apaste.info/LxIJ

Thanks,
Shawn