Ok,

I've done it for all currently public issues. It was a bit
nerve-wracking to modify 4k+ issues (1k at a time) :-)

Notes:
1) It is a bit hard to find all Public issues as Security level is not
in the dropdowns. So, the search query has to be in the advanced mode
and be: project = SOLR AND  Level = "Public"
2) Can only be done maximum 1000 issues at a time (under Tools/Bulk Change)
3) Check Edit
4) Set Security Level to None, scroll down all the way and uncheck
Send email, then submit
5) Confirm
6) Wait (approx 7min per 1000)
7) Acknowledge

I am not sure I have the right to update the release instructions, but
- as David said - this probably could be a good place to keep them in
check. Possibly in the same step as does the final issue cleanup
(something about versions I think).

Regards,
   Alex.