I'm wondering if there's any utility in returning the first term of an
un-stored but
indexed field. It wouldn't be much use in a field  that broke the
input stream up,
but what about a "string" type? Or something with KeywordTokenizer?

We could save some index storage space, maybe speed up things a bit.

Especially in a "string" type, there's no difference between the indexed term
and the stored term, so why use both?

My original notion was to let users include an indexed-but-not-stored
field in the fl list, and leave up to them to use it wisely. When
specified, the behavior
would be "return the first term encountered in an
indexed-but-not-tokenized field with
no guarantees". But it also occurs to me that we could do this automagically for
"string" types.

I haven't thought this through much, for instance what about
specifying fl=*? And
this changes current programs, users who already (by mistake probably) specify
unstored fields in to be returned would start seeing new data. I'm sure
there are other gremlins. Not to mention trying to explain it.

And,  in truth, this really feels like one of those
possible-but-not-worth-the-effort
ideas. But it was in my head when I woke up this morning and I thought I'd toss
it out there.

Erick