Aha!  Yes, Uwe, now I remember you explained this to me, that we can now do
direct IO purely in java.  I think we should fix up NativeUnixDirectory,
and then run some more benchmarks to see if it helps?  I'll open an issue.

And definitely big +1 to give us fadvise/madvise in Java so we can test
that too.  It's better long term to give hints to the kernel and then let
it manage its buffer cache appropriately.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com