Well sometimes even reindexing might not always be avoidable when upgrading.
However, there should be a more user friendly way. Not every Solr deployment
that one might inherit has foreseen this. Eg in case Solr is used as a NoSQL
database where the application puts data in Solr, but not outside Solr for the
case of reindexing. In those case it would be useful that Solr can
(configurable) write the original SolrInputDocument somewhere and this original
document can then be user for reindexing in case of major updates.