Welcome Eric!

Christine

From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 04/07/20 14:57:43To:  dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Welcome Eric Pugh as a Lucene/Solr committer

Thank you everyone!  I’ll keep it short, otherwise this will be a very long
email… ;-).
I was first introduced to Solr and Lucene by Erik Hatcher, and today I wonder
what my life would be like if he hadn’t taken the time to show me some cool
code he was working on and explained to me the way to change the world was
through open source contributions!
I co-founded OpenSource Connections (http://o19s.com) along with Scott Stults
and Jason Hull in 2005.  We found our niche in Solr consulting after I went to
the first LuceneRevolution and got inspired (complete with Jerry Maguire style
manifesto shared with the company). Through consulting, I get to help onboard
organizations into the Solr community - a thriving, healthy ASF is very near &
dear to my heart.
I’ve been around this community for a long time, with my first JIRA being three
digits: SOLR-284.  Today, I’m still contributing to Apache Tika.  I’ve gotten
to meet and spend some significant time with Tim Allison from that project and
learned a LOT about text!
I was in the right place at the right time and was able to join David Smiley as
co-author on the first Solr book, we went on and did a total of three editions
of that book.  Phew!
Once I got to sit on stage as a judge for Stump the Chump, it was Erick, Erik,
and Eric ;-)
After doing Solr for a good while, I got lucky and met Doug Turnbull on the
sidewalk one day because he had on a t-shirt that said “My code doesn’t have
bugs, it has unexpected features”.   Couple of years later he and fellow
colleague John Berryman published Relevant Search and today I’m working in the
fascinating intersection of people, Search, and Data Science helping build
smarter search experiences as a Relevance Strategist. I'm excited about
bringing relevance use cases 'down to earth'. I also steward OSC's
contributions to the open source tool Quepid to help fulfill that goal.
Oh, and I’ve got a stack of LuceneRevolution and related conference t-shirts
that my mother turned into a fantastic quilt ;-).
Eric

On Apr 6, 2020, at 9:39 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <shalinman...@gmail.com>