I found hundreds of issues that had not been cleared the last time I did it
a couple months ago, dating back months. Enough that I assumed it had not
ever been added to any release instructions.

Either there is a discrepancy between releaseWizard.py and the wiki
ReleaseToDo that's causing it to be skipped in some cases, or sometimes an
RM is occasionally unable to complete all steps for whatever reason(s).