Looking at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page&status=unreleased
maybe
this is as simple as having one more field on our issues... Currently fix
version denotes when something got fixed, perhaps a "target version" field
could indicate when we want to fix it by. Then we just need a tag in jira
and perhaps a branch.

Alternately (or maybe additionally) we could make a "board" if that's
easier to monitor.