Some things to understand about the Gradle build. Note, I’ve assembled these
here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Building+Solr+with+Gradle

- "gradlew assemble”, “gradlew dev" and “gradlew classes” do _not_ compile the
test classes. Use “gradlew testClasses” to compile the test classes
independently if you have a need. Executing these from within IntelliJ provides
convenient clickable links to problems.

- “gradlew check” will do all of the checks (equivalent of “ant precommit”
plus), compile all the classes, including the test classes, and run all the
tests. I have been seeing some issues where this will blow up memory, I have no
clue why but it can be worked around sometimes by issuing “gradlew —stop” to
kill all the daemon(s). Another strategy is to change gradle.properties in your
home directory, there’s an obvious line for allocating memory to Gradle.

- the gradle build has some additional checks built in to catch logging calls
that use certain logging patterns. There’s extensive help in if you execute
“gradlew helpValidateLogCalls”, this is entirely new.

Feel free to ping me on Slack if you’re puzzled by an of this or need any
hints. Or just edit the confluence page if you’ve a mind.

Erick