Not trying to spam the list, just looking to get feedback about the goings
on in the project and on some of my items before I share my Google Doc,
which is damning, even of my own work and efforts.

This line and subsequent lines concern me:

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/1d2749295b5378db9f54d603b581d1d9a1e3cc93/lucene/tools/javadoc/java11/package-list#L265

We should remove Nashorn and eval from our code base.

One could argue that eval should've been removed eight years ago. Nashorn
should have been removed in 2018 when Oracle announced it w
<https://blogs.oracle.com/javamagazine/jep-335-deprecate-the-nashorn-javascript-engine>as
shifting all efforts to GraalVM. Adopting GraalVm, if we feel we need it,
gives the platform many capabilities and much more security that what is
offered by Nashorn. Nashorn is not actively maintained anymore to my
knowledge.

Are there any objections to me removing Nashorn, revisiting adding GraalVM
if we feel we need it, and totally removing eval from the code base. It is
already mostly removed thanks to work from Kevin and Jan, I believe. I
wanted to remove it back in March of 2019, but that's another story for a
different email thread.

Anyway, please advise.

 Best,

Marcus Eagan