Thanks for bringing this up David.

To start, I definitely agree that removal of contribs should have a
discussion, then a vote before any action is taken.

There have been a few bug fixes/improvements made this year, but there has
not been a lot of development on it.
If there is little use of the component, then I agree taking it outside of
lucene-solr is probably a good idea. If it does have use in the community
and stays as a contrib, I think it is still a good idea to turn it into a
"package". That way it is easily loadable by users.
But I guess that is a part of a larger discussion about how we should treat
contrib modules, and whether they should be "first party" packages.

As per your question around compatibility with JSON Facets, there is
definitely overlap but differences in the options provided by each. I'm not
an expert on JSON Facets, but there are certainly things that each module
can do that the other can't.
Ideally we could take the functionality unique to analytics and add it to
JSON facets, that way there is little reason for the analytics component to
remain. But that is a larger effort.

- Houston