Our messages crossed, but I read yours after I sent mine and I think I agree
with you. I hear “deprecated” and think “it’s going away someday” but I keep
getting questions from people (even inside Lucidworks) who are panicking like
it’s gone in 8.6.3 already.

Speaking more generally, though, in some cases, though, we don’t know if it's
moving - there is no maintainer yet. Until the repo exists and has some
semblance of organization (a README, etc.), I think it’s very misleading to say
something will exist somewhere else when it may not. HDFS is an example of
this. The Deprecations page at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Deprecations says “Community
package efforts underway”, but as far as I can see that’s just a link to a Jira
issue where some discussion happened back in July. There is no repo at all yet.
The plugin may or may not ever arrive.