Thanks for shining a spotlight on this Mike.
I have some questions to consider.  I'll call these additional repos,
"external contribs", or just contribs for short here; perhaps our internal
contribs would migrate.

Q: Would each contrib be released at its own cadence unrelated to Solr?  I
suppose so.
Q: Would each contrib have it's own release vote?  I suppose so, as it has
its own artifact.  I think the ASF requires this.
Q: Is it "okay" to release new Solr versions that break any of these
external contribs?  Knowingly or unknowingly -- does it matter?
Q: What technical work is needed to extricate an internal contrib to an
external?
* source control history.  (note: i've done this git history in a single
folder extraction before, with a popular Stackoverflow answer)
* mandatory ASF files, e.g. license, notice
* more files that we may want: CHANGES.txt
* More build files; copying the rules/setup/standards of the Solr
mothership and will become divergent over time no doubt.  Or just KISS
principle; no sharing; simple Maven projects.
Q: Could & should many contribs live in one repo (no more internal
contribs), yet each still have its own release cycle?  This could make
sharing build infrastructure easier, and detecting Solr compatibility with
them easier.  Although it would mean sharing GitHub project area, thus
sharing issues/PRs.
Q: Should we create a separate JIRA for these contribs... or ditch JIRA
entirely for them, relying on GitHub alone?
Q: Would contribs be treated as first class citizens in the Solr Reference
Guide (they are still in the ASF after all), or would they be banished like
the DIH was?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley