I have a preference for maintaining a separate CHANGES file because it
allows us to keep JIRA focused for a committer/contributor audience while
the CHANGES file can describe changes that matter for users. Elasticsearch
uses a similar mechanism for release notes to what you are proposing, using
GitHub instead of JIRA. It works well, but in my opinion the Lucene/Solr
process produces better curated release notes.