Thanks for commenting Adrien; I was hoping to get your input on this!

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:20 PM Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le jeu. 14 janv. 2021 à 18:16, Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> a écrit :
>

>> 9.0 Release Planing
>>
>>    - Reminder that there are issues with new minors after a major
>>    release (8.9 after a 9.0) - somebody to research.
>>

> The main challenge with this is backwards compatibility testing. If you
> release 8.9 after 9.0, there is nothing in the release process that tests
> that Lucene 9 can read 8.9 indices even though that is a guarantee we
> provide. It can be tested manually (we have done it a couple times) but
> this is quite painful and not as reliable as having it tested on every CI
> build prior to the release, so we prefer avoiding releasing new minors
> after a new major.

I'm not familiar with why the testing needs to be manual instead of
automated.  After having a RC of 8.9, couldn't we add the back-compat
indices to branch_9x and check that 9.0 is happy with them (running
applicable automated tests) as a precondition for releasing 8.9?
Regardless, you say we've done it before, and we can do it again.  I think
it's likely it'll happen.

> This is mostly a problem for Lucene so once Lucene and Solr have distinct
> release cycles, Solr could potentially do this, e.g. release Solr 9.9 after
> 10.0 is out (as long as Solr 9.9 keeps depending on the same Lucene version
> as Solr 9.8).

Right; understood.