Thanks for bringing up this issue Kevin.

Periodically re-building docker images is certainly a feature we could
support, and probably should to automatically keep up with security fixes.
We could even automate it pretty easily in Jenkins.

We could also build in support in the gradle commands to instead of
building a TGZ from source, download and verify the "official" TGZ, to
build the image with. That way release images are always built with the
same exact binaries. The Dockerfile wouldn't need to change at all between
local and release, it still merely expects a TGZ to be passed in the
context; gradle can determine if it needs to be built from scratch or
downloaded.

This still likely wouldn't be good enough to make the image an "official
docker image" but it gets us to essentially the same end-state image. The
only difference is the downloading and verification are happening in gradle
instead of the Dockerfile.

- Houston