So...., we may have a problem with the way we use "configset" too. We
are using it to mean a template from which a new collection can be
created (default, techproducts, etc).

But also, if I remember correctly, we allow to share configuration
between live cores using configset parameter in core.properties. And
that is not a template use, because both cores may modify the same
files through API (oops). Though, now that I look at the
documentation, we seem to have collapsed those two. This collapse may
actually be wrong....
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_8/defining-core-properties.html

For paramsets, the cool thing is that you can refer to them for update
operations as well. So, they could be used for A/B indexing tests,
etc.

Regards,
   Alex.