I am now preparing for a bugfix release from branch branch_8_8

I plan to have the RC built and vote started on Tuesday, Mar 30. If you
have small, low risk bug fixes to backport before then, please do so using
your best judgement.

Please observe the normal rules for committing to this branch:

* Before committing to the branch, reply to this thread and argue
  why the fix needs backporting and how long it will take.
* All issues accepted for backporting should be marked with 8.8.2
  in JIRA, and issues that should delay the release must be marked as
Blocker
* All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed
  to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into
  the current release branch.
* Only Jira issues with Fix version 8.8.2 and priority "Blocker" will delay
  a release candidate build.

Thanks,
Mike