Thanks Adrien for addressing one half of the back compat problem.

Unfortunately, the "branch_8x" branch is still live and running hot,
same as before.
So I have to again give my -1 VOTE, due to the fact that backwards
compatibility can't be guaranteed.
Given that it is being expanded to TWO major releases, this is a major
commitment that we have to take seriously.
At a ~ 2.5 year average major release rate, that's up to *7.5 years*
to fully remove a mistake, for example.

So I really do think we need things in order here, despite some
backwards neanderthal thinking that wants to always stay on the same
release and java 1.4 and so on.