> It's interesting that I asked about generic search for *foo* queries, but you
> read it as a question about infix suggestions.

Right, apologies. These are a bit related though, aren't they?

> It's a little bit odd but I meet customers who ask about generic search for
> *infix* often - find me everything including these letters 'foo'.

My counter argument is typically to show those customers how many
terms and documents match such queries on a large index (and what
these terms are)... But you're right - some power users do have
legitimate needs for prefix/ suffix/ infix queries (and even regexp
queries). In those cases, if they're rare, I simply ran a full scan on
the terms index and expanded the query. If the number of potential
matching terms was huge, the search would abort and wait for more
input from the user so that the scope is saner. I'd be interested in
whether this can be done more efficiently.

> I usually try to convince them that they are focusing on positive results,
> but such high recall search is prone for false positives, and this makes it
> quite useless.

Agreed.

D.