Your approach is almost certainly more efficient, but it might give you false
matches in some cases - for example, if you have a complex query with many
nested MUST and SHOULD clauses, you can have a leaf TermScorer that is
positioned on the correct document, but which is part of a clause that doesn’t
actually match.  It also only works for term queries, so it won’t match phrases
or span/interval groups.  And Matches will work on points or docvalues queries
as well.  The reason I added Matches in the first place was precisely to handle
these weird corner cases - I had written highlighters which more or less did
the same thing you describe with a Collector and the Scorable tree, and I would
occasionally get bad highlights back.