Hi Robert, thank you for the response.

I understand that NIOFSDirectory also uses the FS cache, but doesn't
MMapDirectory tend to fill up the cache with unnecessary data for random
access pattern due to sequential read-ahead? Our concern is that it can
potentially lead to evicting hot pages used by another process on the same
host, affecting its performance. As far as I can Elasticsearch also avoids
using MMap for everything by default, e.g stored fields and term vectors
are not MMAPed.

Does it make sense or am I missing something? Is my understanding correct
that it still makes sense to avoid MMAPing files with the random access
pattern on the most recent Lucene and JVM versions?

Thank you,
Alex