The main branch is on Java 17, see build.gradle:

  // Minimum Java version required to compile and run Lucene.
  minJavaVersion = JavaVersion.VERSION_17

Also, don't use the default gradle task created by convention; use this one:

./gradlew mavenToLocal

it's an alias but it publishes only a subset of relevant projects, not all
of them.

Dawid