Thanks for your feedback and the link to the OpenSearch implementation!

I think the embedding approach as it exists today is not and will not be able to provide good enough accuracy. Many people try to fix this with re-ranking, which helps, but does not really fix the actual problem.

I think we focus too much on text, because text/language is actually just a representation of the "models" we create in our minds from the reality we perceive via our senses.

When you take multimodality into account from the very beginning, then you will be forced to approach search differently and I would argue that this will lead to a much more powerful search implementation, which is able to provide better accuracy and also the capability that the implementation knows much better what it does not know.

I do not mean to sound philosophical, but actually have a quite clear implementation in my mind resp. on paper, but I would be interested to know whether the Lucene community is interested to reconsider search from the ground up?

I think the Lucene community has a fantastic knowledge / expertise, but I think it is time to evolve quite radically, and not just do another vector search implementation.

WDYT?

Thanks

Michael