Hi

If I understand correctly some devs are working on introducing quantization for vector search or at least considering it

https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12497

Just being curious what is the status on this resp. is somebody working on this actively?

It came to my mind, because Cohere recently made their new embedding model "Embed v3" available

https://txt.cohere.com/introducing-embed-v3/

whereas IIUC, Cohere intends to also provide embeddings optimized for compression soon.

Nils Reimers recently wrote on LinkedIn:

----
"... what we see on the BioASQ dataset:
4x - 99.99% search quality
16x - 99.9% search quality
32x - 95% search quality
64x - 85% search quality
But it requires that the respective vector DB supports these modes, what we currently work on with partners."
----

This might be interesting for Lucene as well, resp. I am not sure whether somebody at Lucene is already working on something like this.

Thanks

Michael