Empirically I thought I saw the need to increase JVM heap with this,
but let me do some more testing to narrow down what is going on. It's
possible the same heap requirements exist for the non-quantized case
and I am just seeing some random vagary of the merge process happening
to tip over a limit. It's also possible I messed something up in
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/13469 which I am trying to use
in order to index quantized vectors without building an HNSW graph.