: Seems like a bug in gradle somewhere, Chris -
: https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/21325

Following some of the linked commits/issues/PRs from that URL, and reading
between the lines, it sounds like gradle 7.5 (and above) changed something
in how gradle analyzes what/where/when/how it can pipeline/parallelize
tasks such that it's now smarter in the common case, but can't detect
problems like we're seeing -- and the gradle devs seem to be playing whack
-a-mole trying to fix underlying problem(s)...

https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/21325
 - fixed in 7.6 by pull/21643

https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/25951
 - fixed in 8.4 by pull/26172

...the general "vibe" I get from the comments on these issues is that the
gradle devs seem to feel like these fixes / workarounds wouldn't be
neccessary if people's build.gradle files weren't so broken/smelly ...

to "blame the victim" -- IIUC for having circular task interactions...

https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/25951#issuecomment-1667761257

https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/25951#issuecomment-1674808161

...so maybe there is a way to avoid this problem in lucene by
removing / re-thinking / tweaking some of dependsOn, mustRunAfter,
or finalizedBy declarations somewhere?

I have no idea *where* -- but presumably it's in something in the
build.gradle files on main that isn't on branch_9x ?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/