>> That's why its important for tests to not leave a lot of threads
>> running (there are a lot of warnings in solr tests about this):

I've been polishing RandomizedRunner recently -- it runs each test in
a test group that tracks (and kills) runaway threads. This works
really nice with unexpected threads created in the background (out of
our immediate control). Like this test case shows:

https://github.com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/blob/master/examples/maven/src/main/java/com/carrotsearch/examples/randomizedrunner/Test010Lingering.java

(executorLeak method will occasionally fail because executor with a
default threadfactory does not join/wait for the pool's threads).

I didn't have the time to integrate all this into Lucene yet, but this
would be a solution for runaway threads in the long run.

Dawid