A couple years ago I was told we were going to be adding tons of new docs to
Search and we needed to do so low-cost.  Only problem, our search vendor
licensed their product by the document, making the low-cost goal impossible.

I had seen Solr mentioned in the footnote of a book somewhere and thought maybe
it was worth looking into.  What I didn't realize is that switching to Solr
would mean better performance, cheaper hardware, easier configuration and a lot
more flexibility.

Better yet, it turned out we wouldn't lose functionality with the switch.  I
just needed to apply a few patches.  But then there were just a few little
things I couldn't find a patch for, so I subscribed to the dev-list and started
doing what I could.  All I can say is working on open source is so much better
than calling the vendor and having them say "nope, it can't do that.  But we
can file a feature request for you."

The work you all do on this project is truly amazing.  Thank you for letting me
have a little bigger part in it as well.

James Dyer
E-Commerce Systems
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311